Sunday, July 4, 2010

A Dessert Fit for Fourth of July (GF & Organic)

After our delicious Fourth of July meal, I decided that I needed a dessert that would fit in with the magnitude of this wonderful holiday! I wanted something light and I wanted something summery. I decided to try a recipe from a certain gourmet kitchen store that I may or may not receive a paycheck from occasionally.

This is a recipe for Mango Pineapple Sorbet.

I have adapted it to be completely organic and it was already GF...yay!


For this mouthwatering dessert, you will require:



2 organic mangoes, peeled and pitted (easier said than done)
3 Tb. fresh squeezed organic lime juice
2/3 cup organic sugar
1 cup fresh organic pineapple, chopped fine

I also added 1 organic red banana.



This was not in the original recipe and it is certainly not needed, but it was just laying there and ended up adding some awesome flavor.

Put your mangoes and bananas in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.

Add the sugar and lime juice and blend together well.

Now for the pineapple.

Here's one nifty tool that I have put to great use all summer.

My pineapple corer and peeler.

We used to not purchase pineapple because it's impossible to cut it and not end up with the eyes or the hard core part.

In fact, when the hubs wanted to buy one once, I told him he could buy it if he'd cut it. After that night, he was done with pineapple.

....that is, until I brought home my corer...


Makes it SO simple to have fresh pineapple!

Anyway, I digress....

Put your mixture in a large bowl and stir in your 1 cup of pineapple.

I suppose this could be done without taking it out of the blender.

Add your mixture to an ice cream maker and let it do it's thing for the next half hour.

On a side note, my ice cream maker is one of my favorite purchases, hands down!

Look at how yummy that is!

And it was so easy (if you forget that whole pitting/peeling of the mango part). I will be partaking of this dessert for days.

In fact, I could go for some right now...

Happy holidays!

No comments: